Dear Wayne: Happy 100th
To honor Wayne Thiebaud’s centennial birthday, the Richard Diebenkorn Foundation Archives would like to share personal notes of appreciation sent between the two lauded artists.
The Richard Diebenkorn announces the election of Sarah C. Bancroft as President, Board of Directors
An art historian, curator, and lecturer, Ms. Bancroft is an authority on the art of Richard Diebenkorn (1922–1993) and organized the critically acclaimed exhibitions: “Richard Diebenkorn” at the Royal Academy of Arts in London in 2015 and the traveling “Richard Diebenkorn: The Ocean Park Series” at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Orange County Museum of Art in Newport Beach, and Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. from 2011–12.
*New* From the Basement
Six on Sausalito
By Carl Schmitz
Six perspectives on artworks, people, places, and ideas that tell new stories about the Sausalito period
Postcard of the Contemporary Gallery, owned and operated by Bern Porter (1947–1950), Sausalito, Calif., 1947, Colby College Special Collections & Archives, Waterville Maine. Used by permission of Mark Melnicove, literary executor for Bern Porter
New York Times Review
3 Art Gallery Shows to Explore From Home
Galleries and museums are getting creative about presenting work online during the coronavirus crisis. Here are three shows worth viewing virtually.
Marine Jacket, 1943, graphite on paper, 11 x 8 1/2 in. (27.9 x 21.6 cm) © Richard Diebenkorn Foundation
Exclusive by Phyllis Grant
Spend a moment away from global uncertainty and find solace in abstract art
Reflections by Phyllis Grant on her grandfather’s art now on Instagram
National Artist Relief
The Artist Relief Fund continues to offer immediate individual grants of $5,000 as well as additional resources to alleviate effects of the pandemic.
Grants distributed through December 2020.
Escape through imagery
Richard Diebenkorn painting in France, 1978
A quarterly initiative highlighting rare findings from the Richard Diebenkorn Foundation Archives online
Dig into the material Diebenkorn collected over the course of his life, deepen your knowledge, and respond through your own personal lens.
A comprehensive monograph featuring a revelatory interview with artist Wayne Thiebaud
Richard Diebenkorn: A Retrospective, published by Rizzoli New York in 2019, is the most comprehensive monograph on the distinguished American painter, draftsman, and printmaker for readers of all backgrounds and levels of interest. A visually striking object (measuring nearly 10 by 12 inches), the book includes a handsome slipcase box and features 340 illustrations in new color photography.
- News // We are delighted to announce that Sarah C. Bancroft, a preeminent authority on the art of Richard Diebenkor… https://t.co/BZvcftrH8T
- An expanded interview and exhibition @artsy with Sasha Nicholas of "Everything All at Once: #RichardDiebenkorn and… https://t.co/DxakTPfC2O
- A new, scholarly text by @CrockerArt Associate Director and Chief Curator Scott A. Shields on #RichardDiebenkorn’s… https://t.co/FvrxKEiTn8
- “I will never know how many layers of acrylic, watercolor, gouache, ink, and graphite were smudged on or off or pai… https://t.co/2oje7tdNI5
- #RichardDiebenkorn: Paintings and Works on Paper 1946-1952, an exhibition of rarely seen early paintings and drawin… https://t.co/hS7vWIw5Nl